Buying a European holiday home after Brexit? Here’s everything you need to know

Will I have to pay more tax?

Agents expect the process and costs associated with buying to stay the same. But there could be changes to taxes on capital gains and rent.

In Spain, non-resident EU homeowners who let holiday homes can deduct their costs from their tax bill and pay 19pc on the rest. Non-EU citizens pay 24pc and cannot deduct costs. It is probable Britons will fall under the latter system, said Mr Radford.

“Have an exit strategy,” said Mr Green. “If things change and you need to sell quickly, is there going to be a strong market for your property?”

What else will change?

Your European Health Insurance Card will remain valid in the EU until it reaches its expiry date, although health insurance is always advisable.

Until now, Britons over 65 who lived in EU countries and received an exportable UK pension could apply for an S1 form, which covered their healthcare. This benefit could change, meaning retired buyers would need private medical insurance. For someone in good health, this can cost about €1,000 a year.

Pet passports are also no longer valid. To take a pet to the EU you now need an animal health certificate.

Source link

Add a Comment